CoNGO Regional Committee for Asia-Pacific (RCAP) May 18 and 19, 2012
The CoNGO Board in December 2007 recognized the proposed establishment of what was then called the CoNGO Regional Committee for Asia, as called for by 20 member agencies in conformity with CoNGO Rules. After its initial meeting in 2009, the CoNGO Board first determined the following basic point: the region covered would be the entire geographic area of Asia, including the Asian Pacific. The body would therefore be named the CoNGO Regional Committee for Asia-Pacific (RCAP)
The CoNGO RCAP aims to facilitate Asia Pacific area NGO’s participation in all UN and CoNGO activities globally and regionally, in particular UN ESCAP and other UN bodies and agencies in Asia. It will promote better cooperation among CoNGO members as well as other civil society organizations in the Asia-Pacific area.
The RCAP Steering Committee is composed as follows:
- American Psychological Association (representation in Thailand)
- Bahrain Women Association for Human Development (Vice President of CoNGO)
- Forum Asia (Thailand headquarters)
- GCS International (Korea)
- International Federation of Women Lawyers
- Pan Pacific and Southeast Asia Women’s Association ( Vice-President of CoNGO)
- United Methodist Church (GBCS for Southeast Asia)
- World Federation of UN Association (representation in India)
- The President of CoNGO
The purpose of the this meeting was to determine actions to be taken toward the official launch of the RCAP, including scheduling, financing, administrative servicing, outreach, communications and relations with the UN.
The current meeting of the steering commettee in May 2012 for formation of CoNGO RCAP was hosted by Siam University, Graduate School in Peace Studies and Diplomacy, by invitation of Dr. Pornchai Mongkonvanit, President of the University. Participants also attended a short seminar on the topic “How can we make the Cooperation for Sustainable Peace in Asia and the Pacific.”
PPSEAWA was well represented, since I was joined by Mondhiya Bhangsha, Director, PPSEAWA International (Thailand) and Dato Rahmah Abdul Hamid, Vice President, PPSEAWA International (Malaysia).