The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), officially known as “Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”, are an intergovernmental set of aspiration goals with 169 targets. The SDGs cover the three dimensions of sustainable development: economic growth, social inclusion, and environmental protection.
PPSEAWA is especially committed to GOAL 5, the stand-alone goal to achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls. Targets include:
- ending discrimination against women and girls
- ensuring women’s participation in leadership and decision-making
- recognizing unpaid care and domestic work
- eliminating violence against women and girls
- eliminating harmful practices such as child and forced marriage, and FGM (genital cutting)
- ensuring universal access to sexual and reproductive rights