Pan Pacific South East Asia Women’s Association - PPSEAWA was granted Special Consultative Status in 1953.
Aims and Purpose
The aims and purposes of the organization are: To strengthen bonds of peace by fostering a better understanding and friendship among women of all Pacific and South East Asia areas to foster cooperation for study and the development of social, economic and cultural conditions.
National Member Organizations (NMO) have national constitutions which include indigenous priorities within the broad framework of the parent International association. Out of the 21 chapters there are 5 non-active because they have not paid their annual dues. Youth representatives have been appointed as advisors to the Council, to assist with the recruitment of young women and to foster their participation. Individual membership varies from 20-50 in the small Pacific Islands to over 1000 in Indonesia and Thailand.
Pan Pacific South East Asia Women’s Association is dedicated to promoting the human rights of women and girls. We work to protect and improve access to education, health, advancing the status and full development of marginalized women and girls, and the environment, including sustainable consumption. Local chapters work on their own projects relevant to their area and particular to their needs. We also seek to develop cooperation among women of these regions for the study and development of joint social, economic and cultural conditions. Donations from members have enabled two funds to flourish: an Emergency Fund, to help those suffering natural or man made disasters, and a Young Women’s Fund to enable young women to attend the International Conferences or for Training and Education purposes.’
PPSEAWA’s Contribution to the work of the United Nations (list 6)
Triennial Conferences devote one day to the UN’s work according to the By-Laws:
- 2013 Fiji Conference: Managing the Environment for a Sustainable And Peaceful World.
- 2016 Malaysia Conference: Respect the Environment for a Sustainable and Peaceful Future.
- 2014 Mid-Term Council Meeting IN THE USA: PPSEAWA International co-hosted a Seminar on Human Trafficking of Women and Girls-Global Strategies for Improving Awareness & Advocacy September 3, 2014, with International Women’s Association of Chicago (IWA) and sponsored by the Center for the Human Rights of Children at Loyola University Chicago.
- May 14, 2013 Representative attended UN Conference UNODC / Office on Drugs and Crime. Human Trafficking: General Assembly Reviews efforts to Combat Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling.
- Representatives co-sponsor side events at CSW 57, 58, 59, and 60 on Human Trafficking, Mental Health, Refugee and Rural Education, and Girls’ Rights
- The 72nd Session of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok, Thailand, May 15 – 19, 2016, was held under the theme ‘Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) for inclusiveness and sustainable development’, and placed particular emphasis on harnessing STI towards achieving the 2030 Agenda in Asia – Pacific.
PPSEAWA’s Participation in meetings of the United Nations
Accredited representatives attended meetings in Bangkok, Geneva, New York and Vienna. Permanent representatives attend regular sessions focusing on their specific region. Highlights include:
- Monthly Working Group on Girls Meeting and weekly a Task Force Preventing Violence in New York.
- April 29,2013 Mental Health:United Nations Expert Group Meeting on Mental Well Being, Disability and Development. Communication and Collaboration among Mental Health and Children with Disabilities.
- March 31 - April 4,2014 Tenth Sessions on the open Working Group on Sustainable Development Goals.The UN Global Compact's multi year strategy to drive business awareness and action in support of achieving this SDGs by 2030
- November 19, 2015,United National Conference : DPI-NGO Human Trafficking Through the Lens of Civil Society.
- The 24th Session of the Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice was held in Vienna from 18 to 22 May 2015.
- 23 and 25 February 2015 in Geneva, Meeting with NGOs - an informal exchange of views with Members of the Advisory Committee on, inter alia, human rights in post-disaster and post-conflict situations
- 14-16 November 2016 UN Forum on Business and Human Rights: “Leadership and Leverage: Embedding human rights in the rules and relationships that drive the global economy”
PPSEAWA’S Cooperation with United Nations bodies
- Our Organization contributed their monetary assistance to the Fiji Prime Minister’s Tropical Cyclone Winston’s Relief Fund.
- In Commemoration of the International Day of the Girl Child on October 11, the PPSEAWA Thailand Youth Committee together with the United Nations Committee, and in conjunction with the Hua Chiew Chalermprakiet University's Faculty of Communication Arts and the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA), a seminar titled LOVE MUST KNOW initiated by the Hua Chiew Chalermprakiet University, was organized on November 5, 2016 at the Huachiew Chalermprakiet University. The Seminar also aims to create an awareness for youth to appreciate their own self worth.
- 21 October 2013 Event of the Task force on Combating Human Trafficking on the Occasion of the EU Anti-Trafficking Day, established by Austrian Federal Government and in coordinated by the Federal Ministry for European and International Affairs.
- 06 April 2016 The Meeting of NGO Committee on Ageing Vienna (CoA Vienna).
- 17 June, 2016 International Round Table: Beyond Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery.
- 21-22 November 2016 UN Forum on Human Rights, Democracy and Rule of Law: “Widening the Democratic Space: the role of youth in public decision-making”.
Initiatives taken by PPSEAWA in support of the MDGs
Our organization initiatives taken projects to support MDG. The projects included:
- A Young Women’s Fund, provides financial assistance for young women ages 18-34 years to attend International Conferences or to develop special projects to help their communities.
- The USA Education Scholarship Fund supported students in the last two years of high school.
- Philanthropy gives to the Jyoti Children’s Development Foundation in Kanpur India for hearing impaired children.
- Our organization with the National Council of Women of Thailand, provided knowledge on women’s right, encourage women’s leadership and gender equality. PPSEAWA Thailand pay regular visits to women correctional facility at Samut Sakorn Province Prison to give knowledge and Psychological support.
- Panel discussion at 2013 Fiji Conference The Conference theme, Managing the Environment for a Sustainable and Peaceful World
- Panel discussion at 2016 Malaysia Conference theme: Respect the Environment for a Sustainable and Peaceful Future.
- 2016 UN Peace Day, The organization International Ambassador of Peace asked National Member Organizations to engage with this year’s theme: "Sustainable Development Goals: Building Blocks for Peace”. Peace programs were presented and reports were provided. Another projects are “Go Green”, “Say No to The Plastic”, “Reduction, reusing and Recycling to target food waste”.
Additional Information to Share
Our Organization members attended the CoNGO - ESCAP Meeting in Bangkok and made contribution to set up RCAP office in Siam University Bangkok.