Dear PPSEAWA USA members,
Happy Mother’s Day!
First and foremost, I would like to thank our hosts during the PPSEAWA USA Annual Meeting at the UN Church Center in New York on Friday, May 1, 2015, New York Chapter President Patsy Chen, Edith Hugentobler, and the New York Chapter members, for their hospitality.
My deepest appreciation goes to the elected members of the National Board who served from 2013-2015, for their excellent service and support. Many thanks must go to the outgoing PPSEAWA USA President Taina Woodward, for her leadership over the past term. She also made the arrangements for a lovely luncheon at the UN Delegate Dining Room following the Annual Meeting, which was attended by 28 members!
I am honored that my first duty as PPSEAWA USA President is to announce the results from the election held at the PPSEAWA USA Membership Meeting in New York on May 1, 2015. Please give a warm welcome to the National Board 2015-2017:
- Akari Yamada, President
- Patsy Fang Chen, 1st Vice President
- Maria Suzuki Politzer (LA), Vice President
- Eleanor Schlesinger (NY), Vice President
- Sharon Vass (Toledo), Vice President
- Anita Yamada (Chicago), Vice President
- Sheila Garrison, Treasurer
- Mei Chao, Secretary
- Ann Karch (Chicago), Nominating Committee
- Vera Olichney (New York), Nominating Committee
- Virginia Schlicher (Toledo), Nominating Committee
Here are some highlights from the Annual Meeting on May 1:
- Membership: We have 174 members, with four local chapters in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and Toledo. We currently have 10 members-at-large in other cities.
- Scholarship: This year, we gave out a $1000 scholarship to cover the tuition for Aylin Meraz, a high school senior and honor student at Josephnium Academy in Chicago. Aylin will be graduating on May 30th. The Education Committee would like to share this announcement: "We are extremely proud to announce that Josephinum's Class of 2015 Salutatorian, Aylin Meraz received a Presidential Scholarship to Dominican University.”
The Education Scholarship Committee is seeking new candidates. Please contact chairperson Rebeca Massey for information, a copy of the guidelines, and an application form.
- The next National Board Meeting will be held from October 23-24, 2015, in Chicago.
Most of all, THANK YOU for continuing to support PPSEAWA programs and events through your membership, for believing in PPSEAWA’s mission for peaceful engagement, and for promoting a more equitable and sustainable world for women and children.
Akari Yamada, PPSEAWA-USA President